Joe Davis and Bio Art

So this blog is about my studio practice.  I teach but I don't approach my blog as a teaching blog or even talk about that aspect of my art career/practice within these digital pages, much.  There is something happening just now that reaches across the isle between making and teaching making.

I have fallen in with a group of academics, artists and scholars interested in the pursuit of an answer to that age old question: What is Bio Art?  I am not a Bio Artist.  To date, I have made nothing in my life that I consider Bio Art.  I can't honestly say that I ever will. 

At the University of Kentucky this week, we have the pleasure of a visit from one who does make Bio Art as well as someone with, what I think, would be a pretty compelling answer to that age old question.  Joe Davis is an Scientist/Artist/Thinker with a Biology research lab at MIT.  He is visiting the University of Kentucky from Sept 24 - 28 to lecture and pontificate on art, science and that interesting ground where one bleeds into the other.  His lecture is titled: "Flying Saucers & the Garden of Paradise: Art & Science of the Malus Sieversii Genome" That's an apple tree.    



Poster designed by Peggy Coots

There will also be a presentation of the documentary about Joe Davis: Heaven+Earth+Joe Davis.
The documentary is by Peter Sasowki and has won a few awards and some pretty substantial accolades.  To find out more check out:  www.joedavisthemovie.com





 So what does any of this have to do with me and my studio practice?  Maybe it doesn't.  I will say however, that I have the feeling of excitement and electricity.  That feeling of looking into a box when the contents are unknown.  I anticipate an expansion of perspective.