LAL CSA

In the last month, I've made 30 paintings.  I call them paintings even though some have wallpaper, dripped ink, collage, oil pastel, pencil, wood chips and sawdust.  But they also have paint.  The paint is quite literally the glue that holds all this material together in 30 paintings that are one foot squared.  I have titled this series "30 Views of a Pasture" in the tradition of Japanese Ukiyo-e woodblock prints.

15 views from "30 Views of a Pasture"

I am very happy with these paintings.  I am energized by the process, the theme, the gestures, the marks, the failures and the places where repetition led me to innovation.  These works have all been photographed and I will be creating a page on my website to accommodate this new exploration soon.  The catalyst for these paintings is the Lexington Art League CSA.  My very good friend Joe Molinaro and I were having a conversation about taking part in this Springs LAL CSA and we both did.

This is a screenshot so the links don't work.

For the CSA (Community Supported Art), each artist creates 30 works.  Each person who buys a share in the CSA gets one work from each of those artists.  The shares are $400 bucks which is a crazy good deal because many of the individual artworks themselves are worth this.  Its a great project and I am glad to be part of it.

I knew creating the works would be interesting but I wasn't prepared for the process being quite so exciting.  I immediately want to make 30 more.  Rain gave me strict instructions that I was to make 31 paintings so that at the end, she could choose one.  So at the end, she chose one.  What I didn't expect was that I would want one too.  I am usually quite detached from the ownership of my work once it is done.  So, surprisingly I had to make another.  In the series of paintings titled "30 Views of a Pasture" there are actually 32 views.  Here are 31 and 32.

My choice is the white one.  Which I have been told will be good once I put some paint on it.  I disagree!


The rest of the paintings will be unveiled at the Harvest Party on April 24th at the Lexington Art League.  See you there.